Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Study for finals? No! I've got things to do and people to see!

Well, after a chilly start to the month of May, spring is finally here (to stay we think) in Stockholm! We had snow (yes snow) on May 3rd when we all woke up. This was shortly after that big spring celebration I told you all about! The next day I wore wool socks. Yep. That's Sweden for you! One of my teachers said it snowed on May 25th, her wedding day. That's a bummer! 


This dreary weather is in stark contrast to today where it was definitely in the 70s. Maybe even close to 80! I was wearing capris and a t-shirt with no problem at all! :) I have been doing plenty of outdoor activities regardless of the weather though! There is just so much to do and so little time to do it. You know, I only have 4 days left...well 3 really since it's almost the 11th here! Wow! time just flew by. 


Here's a quick picture summary of the things I've done since spring started. 


Went on the Millennium Trilogy Tour. This is the famous novel series by Steig Larson. The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo is the most famous for those of you who don't know. I bought the pamphlet from the city museum and went out with a friend to see the sights from the book. It was so great! The best part was getting a cappuccino from the coffee bar where Mikel Blomkvist (the main character) goes all the time! 


Learned how to make kanelbullar (Swedish cinnamon buns) so I can make them all for you when I see you! These delicious pastries are a Swedish staple for fika (coffee break) and have become a favorite of mine!
"Pour some sugar on meeee..." Laila and I put the egg and sugar on the buns! 
I had sushi (again) with Emelie and Kevin. It was Emelie's first time having sushi and she liked it! I played soccer with friends from the Swedish Program and then went to a birthday party for Marie and met some of her host brother's Swedish friends. We also made some delicious paella! I played ultimate frisbee with friends from church in the park where the crown princess lives. Sadly, she didn't join us! I also saw an awesome band called Miami Horror at a club called The Strand with Anita for our last Saturday night in Stockholm. 
Miami Horror @ The Strand
On Mother's Day, Emelie and I went to Gröna Lund which is Stockholm's amusement park located right on the water. It was such a nice day and the rides were super great too! I am not a rollercoaster extremist but I guess I do like some of them. I went on 3 coasters and was reminded of times at Disney World when I went on those rides. Those are the kind of rides that scare you just enough to make it fun...not pee your pants! Emelie and I had a great time and enjoyed the weather and the rides (as well as each other's company!) 
Emelie and I having some fun in the sun! 

The park from the ferry. We did not go on that tall white thing but we did the coasters you can see except for the wood one right in front. 
Mother's day was also my last sunday at Stockholm Life Church. I couldn't be more thankful to have gone to such a great church. I have learned so much about God and how he touches lives all over the world. It's pretty cool to know I have a church I can call home in Stockholm! 
Phil and Katja Zarns: Pastors at Stockholm Life. Crazy people after God's own heart! :) They also might kill me for having this picture on my blog! haha...
After spending some time working on my Gender in Swedish Society final paper and watching a very scary episode of Dr. Who in the dark, I went to Skansen open air museum to learn about farms, buildings, and animals native to Sweden. They had bears; they had chickens; they had Sami farms like in Lappland; they even had glassblowing. It was a happening place and was so nice to see! I felt like I really got a sense of what different parts of Sweden are like. 
Farm house from the south of Sweden. The ceiling was super short. Even I almost had to duck. It's because they didn't have much timber and were saving it. Those smart Swedes!

Swedish Bears! 
Emelie and I hosted a One Tree Hill Party with Marie and Anita just to hang out and watch some drama TV! It was fun. We ordered pizza from the pizza place nearby and had some delicious Swedish godis (candy) while watching some episodes! 
Emelie, Marie, and Anita in front of the pizza place! Yum! 
Last but not least, today I got to be a kid and go to the Tom Tits Experiment which is a science museum for kids in Sodertalje (about 1 hour 20 min on the train from where I live). It was so fun. My favorite things were the water experiments. Just playing with the water in the sun made me ready for summer! There were so many cool things I couldn't begin to describe them to you! I really enjoyed myself. 
I had to trace the star with a pencil while looking in a mirror. I didn't do so well...

Enjoying the park at the museum! 
I ended my day talking to Emelie. I can't believe I leave here so soon. It kind of feels like I just got here or like this whole thing was some kind of dream. I'm not quite sure...it's such a strange feeling! I should probably go to bed though. I have a final to take tomorrow. Don't worry! I did spend some time studying for it! :) 


Thanks for reading! I'll post once more before I leave, so keep your eyes peeled for that! 

No comments:

Post a Comment