Sunday, May 1, 2011

Valborg - celebrating spring with the Swedes!

Yesterday was a big day in Stockholm and all of Sweden. We all celebrated the coming of spring and the end of winter with the Valborg festival. Swedes get together, listen to music, sing songs, eat candy, and light huge bonfires to "burn away winter" so that spring can come in it's fullest. It's always celebrated on April 30th and May 1st is a national holiday. If you want to know how they celebrate this holiday in other European countries or more about how they do it in Sweden go here


The biggest party is in Uppsala (just north of Stockholm) where students go and drink a lot but still have a fun time. I didn't go to Uppsala because I had a sushi making party and then celebrated in Stockholm instead. It was still tons of fun. The Valborg celebrations were all over town but I went to Vasaparken and listened to the music from Philadelphia church (which is a Swedish church like the one I go to) before watching them light the bonfire. After the bonfire was lit, they had more music by a rock band from the church. They played funk songs all about love. It was AWESOME! I posted a video below so you could see the awesomeness! The only thing that was sad about the day was that it was cold! It's been so unseasonably warm that we all expected it to be 15C but it was only 10C and cloudy to bring in spring. I think that is normal Swedish weather though! I got to spend time with friends so that was still loads of fun. 


The sushi we made! It took me 3 tries before I had a nice looking roll! :) It was tasty regardless.  I think I may have eaten the equivalent of 2 whole rolls. I just couldn't stop eating! 

Valborg at Vasaparken. Lots of people and lots of candy!

My friends (Sanna, Laila, and Christina) and I celebrating! See the bonfire in the back? 

THE BONFIRE! It was so warm. 




After the celebrations were over, we went to Hard Rock Cafe Stockholm and ate nachos while warming up and watching hockey (Sweden vs Norway.....Sweden lost...bummer). It was a great end to our spring celebrations there nevertheless! Plus, I got my t-shirt!! :) 


Nachos. These made me miss good ol' fashioned cheddar cheese. I am def looking forward to that in a few weeks!
I really enjoy that Sweden celebrates things like the coming of spring. It's nice to have bonfires all around town! There really are bonfires all around town and Sweden which I think is a neat way to bring everyone together. That's what celebrations are for right? 


Speaking of celebrations....I did watch the royal wedding live on TV and it was delightful! Kate's dress was beautiful too. I can't believe that half of the world watched that wedding. Pretty cool to be a part of something like that. Oh, and the Swedish crown princess was in attendance at the wedding! Pretty neat! 


Alright, that's all for now. I have a delicious dinner of salmon waiting for me and a book to keep me busy all night! 

1 comment:

  1. Enjoy your last days in the north country! Thanks for your posts & pictures during your stay. Nice to travel from my armchair! :-)
    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete