Thursday, June 2, 2011

Back in the USA

I have been back in the US for a few weeks now. It's actually been almost 3 weeks and things feel pretty normal. I had a week of jet lag. I woke up at 6 am everyday. That wasn't too fun. Now, I can sleep through the night just fine! Jet lag is kind of ridiculous but i'm just glad we can all get over it! 


My first day back in the US was really interesting. I kept expecting people to speak Swedish to me and I kept wanting to reply in Swedish. It surprised me when they didn't. I even said "tack" (thank you) to one person in the line through customs. I don't think she really knew what I said which was good! I'm over it now, but I tend to speak Swedish when I miss being in Sweden. It brings a smile to my face when I do it! So, if you are around me and I say "nej" or "tack" or "ja" a lot, you'll know why! Just bear with me! 


I was so excited about being home the first week. I ate some real Mexican food, caught up with friends and family, attended some weddings, and moved back to my apartment. The second week was a bit tougher. I missed Sweden. I knew it was super nice weather over there and just wanted to soak up the sun! I also really missed public transportation ironically enough. I missed walking everywhere and then getting on a bus or the tunnelbana. It was so nice in Stockholm. Here in Peoria, I have to drive everywhere. The buses are kind of shady and it's so hard to get places any other way besides driving! Oh well, I've got a bike now and I know I can walk to campus at least. For now, I'll just live with that and the knowledge that I will be returning to Stockholm and the great public transport sometime soon! 


Last week, I got to see my friend Marie from Sweden in Chicago. It was so surreal to see her in someplace other than Sweden but it was so great. It was nice to talk to her and know she knew what that experience was like for me. It is just so comforting to know that she lives so close and we can reminisce about Sweden together! 


Now, I'm going to enjoy my summer here in Peoria by doing research, biking, hiking, hanging out with my roomies and my sister, and reading books! It should be pretty great. Thank you all so much for reading my blog while I was in Sweden and sharing in this experience with me. I appreciate it greatly. If you ever want to talk to me about Sweden just remember that I appreciate specific questions like "What was your favorite food there?" or "What were your classes like?" and not "How was Sweden?" I might give some Swedish chocolate to the person with the most creative question! I love answering questions so ask away! :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment