Monday, January 17, 2011

It's getting closer

I am getting really excited! My departure is 5 days away!!!! I can't believe it. It seems really surreal. I will be spending a semester in Stockholm. Away from the familiar but in the middle of excitement! And for those of you who are wondering. Haven't packed anything...I have only made a list! :) 


I got some exciting news a few days ago. I found out about my host family. I am living with a single mom and her two kids who are 15 and 12 (a boy and a girl). They seem really awesome and we already have a lot in common. They like to speak English (hooray!) and cook and bake and hang out. I know they like to travel as well so I am excited to hear all of their stories. I was really excited about being assigned this family because I feel like they are a lot like my family back home. A single parent raising two kids. It will be so cool to see how they live their lives compared to what I have experienced her at home. I don't have any idea what they look like but they are Swedish so I am sure they are wonderful looking! 


My plans before I go include a lot of packing, hanging out with friends, and eating American food. I might also watch some of my favorite movies. Even though this doesn't seem like a lot my schedule has filled up quite quickly! :) 


Swedish Word of the Day: tunnelbana. This is the subway system in Stockholm. I will become very familiar with this while I'm there (hopefully). Right now it looks utterly confusing and I feel like I'll never get it! oh well....


Random Swedish Fact of the Day: Carl Linnaeus is a famous natural scientist from Sweden. He is most known for classificiation of flora and fauna but most Swedes know him as an explorer and traveler. He lived from 1707 to 1778. Carl was recently put on the 10 kronor bill. (kronors are Swedish money...it's kind of a complicated system and I don't quite understand the conversion yet..)


That's all for now. I hope you enjoyed! 

1 comment:

  1. Beth, I love your postings! Both personal and informative about Sweden.
    God be with you in your travels!

    Love you bunches! Grandma

    ReplyDelete