Thursday, January 27, 2011

Hello from Stockholm!

I have arrived and have spent a whole 4 days here. It's hard to believe it's only been 4 days. I've done so much! Where to begin...at the beginning I guess.


My flight here was uneventful. I shed a few tears before I went through security and then was on my way to lovely Scandinavia. I couldn't sleep much on the plane but the food was delicious so that was ok! I then rode to my new home away from home and met my host family. (pictures below) We went on a walk as the sun was shining and it was only -5C (that's like 20F). My host sister, Emelie, and I ended up taking pictures all day and watching One Tree Hill. Yes that wonderful CW show that all American's love. I'm always so surprised at how much American media is in Europe! My host brother, Kevin, loves to watch The Simpsons and Family Guy so I get a taste of America almost everyday. :) Annica, my host mom, is a wonderful cook and has made me things like Swedish meatballs and a traditional Swedish fish (I can't remember the name). She always makes too much food but it is so delicious! I even get to help cook dinner some nights which is awesome!








The next day was the first day of orientation. I meet more program students (there are 45 of us total) as well as all of the staff. It was a lot of information AND I even learned some Swedish! The hardest part of my day was finding my way around town. I have to take a bus and then the subway (tunnelbana) to get to the university and it takes me about an hour from door to classroom. That is plenty of time to do some people watching! All types of people ride the public transportation so it's really nice! 


I have also gotten to do some touristy things. We went to Gamla Stan and then to Sandhamn (an island in the archipelago). Both were beautiful and I learned a lot about Stockholm. Gamla Stan is the old town and it wonderful The royal palace is there and we toured the inside of the church. My favorite was the statue of St. George and the Dragon (seen below). It tells the story of how St. George saved Stockholm from the dragon...it might be a fairy tale but it still means a lot to the Swedes!


St. George defeats the Dragon (photo credit Marie A.)

Classes start up on Monday but first is a fun filled weekend of adventure around town. We will see what the weekend holds!

Swedish word of the day: bor. It means live. I might tell someone “Jag bor i Bromma.” Meaning I live in Bromma!

Swedish fact of the day: The Royal palace in Gamla Stan has a king’s side (complete with cannons – seen below) and a queen’s side with gardens and water. To each his/her own view! 



4 comments:

  1. Thanks for the pictures! Sounds like you are enjoying your adventure-- but I expected that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool! Love the factoids! :-) Keep posting photos and enjoying your adventures. It's nice you have such a large group of Americans at your school. They will help you feel more at home later. Are all the students from Bradley? Hugs long distance!

    ReplyDelete
  3. G'pa and I enjoy your updates tremendously! I can relate to the tears. It
    reminded me of our leaving Peoria for AZ. Love the pictures! Continue to
    enjoy and be safe!
    Love, G'ma

    ReplyDelete
  4. Enjoy your posts and factoids as Kathy mentioned. Also the photos. Your host family seems awesome and I am so excited for you. Love you Aunt Michelle

    ReplyDelete