Friday, February 11, 2011

Snow and sun!

I have been quite busy this past week in the wonderful city of Stockholm. I explored Kungsträdgården which is downtown Stockholm. It was lovely! 


I first went to the opera house and saw the most beautiful chandeliers ever! The opera house only have one stage but it has multiple productions. They change the stage 3 times in 24 hours! That takes some serious skill. The picture below is of the grand foyer which looks a lot like the Palace of Versailles. Mom, you would have loved it!


The Opera House -Kungliga Operan

The ceiling above the stage. Nice chandelier right?

The Grand Foyer! 

There were busts in the grand foyer of famous people including Jenny Lind who sang many operas in the late 1700s I believe. There is an award in her name now for singers and she is on the 50 kr bill. 






Photo taken on the bridge between Kungsträdgården and Gamla Stan. This is when the sun came out...
I then walked around downtown. It is just beautiful plus the weather was a bit overcast so it was perfect picture taking weather. I had a few freakout moments when the sun came out! I just had to take more pictures of the same buildings. Aunt Kathy, you would have been proud! I then went to the Medelhavsmuseet (Mediterranean Cultures Museum). They had collects of artifacts from Cyprus, Egypt, and throughout the Mediterranean. It was really neat. Apparently Sweden sent some expeditions to Cyprus in the late 20s, early 30s to do some exploring. It was really neat to see. My friend who was exploring with me, Marie, and I decided to get some dinner. And we splurged a little bit. We went to Bakfickan which is a small restaurant right by the opera house that serves home style Swedish food. I, of course, ordered the Swedish meatballs which were to die for! It was really fun. We then ended our evening in a typical Swedish way with fica - coffee and some yummy food. We had cocoa from a small cafe in Gamla Stan and some apple pie. It was really nice! 
Swedish meatballs for dinner from Bakfickan! Yummy in my tummy! 


My week of classes was pretty crazy! I will be updating you all about those soon. I spent most of the week reading piles of books which is a lot different from what I am used to! I think by the time I get done with these classes I will have read enough books to match the amount of reading I have had to do in the past 2 1/2 years of undergrad. Ok, that might be an exaggeration but it certainly feels that way!! My classes are interesting though. I am learning a lot of neat things about Sweden so it's really interesting. I think the most interesting thing has been how culture dramatically impacted the movies that were being made in Sweden. And since I'm in a film class, we get to watch some of these fantastic Swedish movies...with English subtitles no worries! 


I am in the process of helping make dinner. I get to cook pretty often here which is awesome! We have some yummy food..lots of fish and chicken...oh and potatoes! :) Don't worry all of you, I am getting plenty to eat! 


We also had a blizzard last night. We have about 5 inches of snow on the ground so I plan on doing some cross country skiing with friends on Sunday!! It was beautiful here this morning! :) 


Tack för läsning! (thanks for reading!) 


I hope you all enjoy and I promise to update this sooner next time! I am going to Uppsala tomorrow so I will be glad to report on all of those adventures! 





No comments:

Post a Comment